VCOP: Virtual Conference Organizers’ Panel
To Explore the Challenges of Organizing a Full Virtual Technical Conference, with the experience gained from successfully organizing IEEE TENSYMP 2020, IEEE Region 10’s first full virtual flagship conference, IEEE Bangladesh Section organized Virtual Conference Organizers’ Panel (VCOP 2020) on July 1st and 2nd.
Virtual Conference Organizers’ Panel (VCOP 2020) was the first virtual online panel in IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific) where all concerned stakeholders shared the expectations, challenges and possible solutions in a Full Virtual Technical Conference with respect to traditional face to face technical conferences.
The first day of the VCOP started at 7:00 PM (GMT +6) with a brief introductory speech from Professor Dr. Celia Shahnaz, General Chair, IEEE TENSYMP 2020. In her speech she shared the reason behind organizing this VCOP and shared her feelings on successfully organizing TENSYMP 2020.
After her, Dr. Paul Cunningham, Chair of IST Africa shared his experience of organizing a virtual conference along with some of the important planning and decisions he had to make with regards to organizing a virtual conference for which he had no previous experience. Along with him Dr. Miriam Cunningham also shared some of her experience on organizing IST Africa.
First day’s other two keynote speakers were Dr. S N Singh, FIEEE Chair, IEEE India Council and Dr. Muhammad Mustafa Hossain, FIEEE, Professor, UC Barkley, USA. Both of them shared some insights of organizing a conference in a virtual platform and the difference of organizing a virtual and face-to-face conference.
After that, Professor Shaikh A Fattah, Technical Program Chair of IEEE TENSYMP 2020 shared some technical aspects of a virtual conference and ignited the panel discussion session for the day.
The second day of VCOP 2020 started with Prof. Celia Shahnaz recapping some of the discussion of the previous day. After her one of the keynote speakers of the day Dr. Bozenna Pasik-Duncan, FIEEE showed her perspective as a conference organizer on virtual conference in difference to face-to face conference.
Similar to the previous day, Dr. Shaikh A Fattah ignited this day’s panel session with a focus on organizing aspects of a virtual conference and started the panel discussion. After some discussion from the panelists, the second keynote speaker of the day, Dr. Ramakrishna Kappagantu, IEEE R10 Director (2015-2016) shared some technical perspective on virtual conference organizing and how this virtual conference may change the future conference organizing also.
After Dr. Kappagantu’s keynote speech the panel discussion resumed again. As a part of this discussion, Raihan Ur Rashid and S M Saiduzzaman, two of the Secretaries and S K Azmaeen Bin Amir and A N M Nasimunnabi, both of the Virtual Conference Management chairs of IEEE TENSYMP 2020 shared some of the inside insights of organizing IEEE TENSYMP 2020.
VCOP 2020 ended with a short closing ceremony where Dr. Lawrence Wong, Member of IEEE Region 10 Advisory Committee gave a closing keynote and Dr. Celia Shahnaz closed the whole two-days event with her closing remarks.
The panelists of the first day of Virtual Conference Organizers’ Panel (VCOP 2020) were:
- Dr. Vijay Bhaskar Semwal, Maulana Azad National Institute of technology Bhopal, India
- Mohammad Arif Ul Alam, University of Massachusetts Lowell, United States
- Lamia Iftekhar, North South University , Bangladesh
- Dr A K M Baki, Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology, Bangladesh
- Amarnath Raja, InApp, India
- Debashis de, Makaut,wb, india
- Dr. Lasith Gunawardena, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka
- Dekh Deepak Sharma, MJP Rohilkhand University, Bareilly, India
- Dr. Chirag N. Paunwala, Sarvajanik College of Engineering and Technology, India
- Dr Pushpa mala S, Dayananda Sagar University , India
- Associate Professor Dr. Kashif Nisar, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Malaysia
- Omar Farooq, Aligarh Muslim University, India
- A. B. M. Aowlad Hossain, Khulna University of Engineering & Technology, Bangladesh
- Dr.Sandip Chanda, Ghani Khan Chowdhury Institute of Engineering and Technology, India
- Dr. Ahmed Zubair, BUET, Bangladesh
- Dr. Mohammad Hasan Imam, American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB), Bangladesh
- Miriam Cunningham, IST-Africa Institute, Ireland
- Amlan Chakrabarti, University of Calcutta, India
- Dr Ritu Agrawal, TIT, India
- Norliza Mohd Noor, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia
- Dr. Tushar Jadhav, Vishwakarma Institute of Information Technology Pune India, India
- Saaveethya Sivakumar, Monash University Malaysia, Sri Lanka
- Dr.S. Vimal, National Engineering College, India
- K. M. Azharul Hasan , Khulna University of Engineering & Technology, Bangladesh
- Karlisa Priandana, IPB University, Indonesia
- Alam Hossain Mondal, Daffodil International University, Bangladesh
- Dr. Sudip Paul, North-Eastern Hill University, India
- Dr M Kaliappan, Ramco Institute of Technology, India
- Rajesh Kannan Megalingam, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, India
- Dr. Sameer S. M. , National Institute of Technology Calicut, India
The panelists of the second day of Virtual Conference Organizers’ Panel (VCOP 2020) were:
- Takako Hashimoto , IEEE R10 Secretary (2019-2020), Director, International Center, Chiba University of Commerce, Japan
- Md Jabed Morshed Chowdhury, La Trobe University, Australia
- Nirmal Nair, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Chun Che Lance Fung, Murdoch University , Australia
- Siti Anom Ahmad, Universiti Putra Malaysia/ Universiti Putra Malaysia, Malaysia
- Professor Dr. Mohammah Abu Yousuf, Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh
- M. Mofazzal Hossain, University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh, Bangladesh
- Professor Bidyadhar Subudhi, Indian Institute of Technology Goa, India
- Satish Babu, IEEE Kerala Section, India
- Surekha Deshmukh, IEEE Pune Section, India
- Abdul Hasib Chowdhury, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh
- Dr. Md. Golam Rashed, University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
- Prof. Rajesh Gupta, M. N. National Institute of Technology Allahabad, India
- Lakshminarayana Merugu, Bharat Institute of Engineering and Technology (BIET), India
- Md Zunaid Baten, Dept of EEE, BUET, Bangladesh
- Prof. Dr. Vijaya Rahul Pawar, Bharati Vidyapeeth’s College of Engineering for Women Pune Maharashtra, India
- Rachana Garg, Delhi Technological University, India
- Apel Mahmud, Deakin University , Australia
- Parkash Lohana, Usman Institute of Technology, Pakistan
- Charmayne Hughes, Health Equity Institute, USA
- Yasuhiro SOSHINO, Japanese Red Cross Kumamoto Hospital, Japan
- Yoshinori Kuno, Saitama University, Japan
- Mohammad Rabiul Islam, International Islamic University Malaysia, Malaysia
- Ruwan Ranaweera, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Anjali Deshpande, Vidyalankar Institute of Technology, India
- Ruwan Gopura, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
- Dominique Duncan, University of Southern California, USA
- Mohammad Faizal Ahmad Fauzi, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- Dr. J. K. Verma , Amity University, India
- Tetsuya Shimamura, Saitama University, Japan
- Dr. Ruomeli Li, Beijing, China
The whole two day’s discussion can be found in IEEE Bangladesh Section’s Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJsG3bgzl-wNDULFDvDGZ8g
The Recording of the Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZFhPuedr0
The Recording of the Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBxo1yRGYs